If your young people in Chigwell, Loughton or Woodford are worrying about the state of nature and the natural world there are things you can do. On the advice of Charlie Bell, experienced biodiversity trainer and all-round outdoor enthusiast you can do some things to encourage a greater diversity of wildlife into your gardens. She works with the field studies council (FSC) and Loughton, Woodford and Chigwell are lucky enough to have one of their centres on the doorstep.
The FSC wants to create a world where everyone feels connected to the environment so they can enjoy the benefits it gives and make choices that help protect it. They are working together with the City of London locally to deliver education in Epping Forest through their centre and their top five tips for a wildlife-friendly garden are:
1) Build a bug hotel or rock pile. Small insects love nooks and crannies which they can crawl into. The best way to create little areas rich in biodiversity is to build a bug hotel from bits of wood, bark, leaves, bamboo canes, twigs or anything else you have lying about the garden.
2) Add a water bath or water hole lots of Chigwell, Loughton or Woodford gardens have a pond but even adding a birdbath can encourage different wildlife into your garden.
3) Put up a birdhouse or butterfly home these make a great present and you can get them at any local garden centre or have a go at making your own.
4) Get planting wildflowers in pots or borders is a great way to attract more bees into the garden and they need very little attention other than a bit of water now and again. Lots of shops stock packets of mixed wildflower seeds
5) Don’t be too perfect if you want to encourage wildlife into your garden, whether it be creating wildflower zones, water features or man-made insect homes let it be a bit wild in your Chigwell, Loughton or Woodford garden.
For more information about wilding up your garden then please follow this link.
Looking to get an instant valuation on your property? Click here.
Whether you're looking to sell, let or buy - our quick valuation tool can give you an idea of what your property could be worth or what you could get as rental income.